Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum logo

Click on CASPIR logo to go to the entire CASPIR system.

Use the panel to:

  • select Optional Sections
  • Remove Page Breaks, that is, return to the non-print formatted document.
  • Click on the ⇩ to go directly to that section.

Dobson, Walter Edward (Sergeant)

Evader 1944-06-08

Male Head

Age:

Service
RAFVR
Unit
422 (B) Sqn- Squadron
This Arm Shall Do It
Base
East Moor
Rank
Sergeant
Marshal
Air Chief MarshalA/C/M
Air MarshalA/M
Air Vice MarshalA/V/M
Air CommodoreA/C
Group CaptainG/C
Wing CommanderW/C
Squadron LeaderS/L
Flight LieutenantF/L
Flying OfficerF/O
Pilot OfficerP/O
Warrant Officer 1st ClassWO1
Warrant Officer 2nd ClassWO2
Flight SergeantFS
SergeantSGT
CorporalCPL
Senior AircraftmanSAC
Leading AircraftmanLAC
Aircraftman 1st ClassAC1
Aircraftman 2nd ClassAC2
Position
Flight Engineer
Service Numbers
1255769

432 Leaside Squadron (Saevitir Ad Lucem) RAF East Moor. Halifax BIII aircraft LW 582 QO-N lost during a night trip to bomb the rail yards at Acheres, France in support of the D-Day landings. The Halifax was attacked by a night and abandoned over St. Denis le Ferment, France

Sgt WE Dobson (RAFVR) survived and became an Evader

Crew on Halifax B/A.Mk.III LW582

Handley Page Halifax

(RAF Photo, 1942)(Source Harold A Skaarup Web Page)A Royal Air Force Handley Page Halifax Mk. II Series I (Serial No. W7676), coded TL-P, of No. 35 Squadron, RAF, based at Linton-on-Ouse, Yorkshire in the UK, being piloted by Flight Lieutenant Reginald Lane, (later Lieutenant-General, RCAF), over the English countryside. Flt Lt Lane and his crew flew twelve operations in W7676, which failed to return from a raid on Nuremberg on the night of 28/29 August 1942, when it was being flown by Flt Sgt D. John and crew.

The Handley Page Halifax is a British Royal Air Force (RAF) four-engined heavy bomber of the Second World War. It was developed by Handley Page to the same specification as the contemporary twin-engine Avro Manchester.

The Halifax has its origins in the twin-engine HP56 proposal of the late 1930s, produced in response to the British Air Ministry's Specification P.13/36 for a capable medium bomber for "world-wide use." The HP56 was ordered as a backup to the Avro 679, both aircraft being designed to use the underperforming Rolls-Royce Vulture engine. The Handley Page design was altered at the Ministry to a four-engine arrangement powered by the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine; the rival Avro 679 was produced as the twin-engine Avro Manchester which, while regarded as unsuccessful mainly due to the Vulture engine, was a direct predecessor of the famed Avro Lancaster. Both the Lancaster and the Halifax would emerge as capable four-engined strategic bombers, thousands of which would be built and operated by the RAF and several other services during the War.

On 25 October 1939, the Halifax performed its maiden flight, and it entered service with the RAF on 13 November 1940. It quickly became a major component of Bomber Command, performing routine strategic bombing missions against the Axis Powers, many of them at night. Arthur Harris, the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Bomber Command, described the Halifax as inferior to the rival Lancaster (in part due to its smaller payload) though this opinion was not shared by many of the crews that flew it, particularly for the MkIII variant. Nevertheless, production of the Halifax continued until April 1945. During their service with Bomber Command, Halifaxes flew a total of 82,773 operations and dropped 224,207 tons of bombs, while 1,833 aircraft were lost. The Halifax was also flown in large numbers by other Allied and Commonwealth nations, such as the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), Free French Air Force and Polish forces. Wikipedia

YouTube Halifax Heavy Bomber WWII

General Harold A Skaarup Web Page

Wkikpedia Wikipedia Halifax Bomber

Museum National Air Force Museum of Canada

CASPIR Aircraft Groups:
RCAF On Strength (5), RCAF 6 Group (1596), RCAF 400 Squadron (1443), Canadian Aircraft Losses (1562), Canadian Museum(2)
last update: 2023-12-08 20:34:11

Halifax B/A.Mk.III LW582

QORAF RoundelM

Served with No. 432 (B) Squadron, RCAF, coded "QO*M". Failed to Return, Aucheres, 8.6.44
unit 432

422 (B) Sqn- Squadron This Arm Shall Do It ("Flying Yachtsmen")

History of the Squadron during World War II (Aircraft: Lerwick I, Catalina IB, III, VB, Sunderland III, Liberator VI, VIII)

No. 422 (General Reconnaissance) Squadron was the 19th RCAF squadron formed overseas in WWII. It was the 5th Coastal squadron, and was formed at Lough Erne, Fermanagh, Northern Ireland on April 2, 1942. It flew Consolidated Catalina and Short Sunderland flying boats on convoy support and anti-submarine patrols over the North Atlantic shipping routes. When hostilities ended in Europe, the squadron was re-designated a Transport (T) unit and was converting to Consolidated Liberator aircraft when hostilities terminated in the Far East. The squadron was then disbanded at Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire, England on September 3, 1945.

In the course of its operations, the squadron flew 1116 operational sorties for the loss of 9 aircraft and 70 aircrew, of whom 11 were killed, 31 presumed dead, 6 injured and 22 rescued. The squadron is credited with 1 U-boat (U-625), sunk by the crew of Sunderland EK591 from St. Angelo. Ireland on 10 March 1940. The captain, WO2 W.F. Morton, was on his first operation. Awards to squadron members were 1 OBE, 1 MBE, 6 DFCs,1 BEM, 1 Air Medal (USA) and 22 MiD. Battle Honours were: Atlantic 1942-45, English Channel and North Sea 1944-45, Normandy 1944, Biscay 1944-45, Arctic 1942.

Maps for Movements of 422 Squadron 1942-45

MAP 1: 422 Squadron Movements 1942-45 (right-click on image to display enlarged in new tab)
MAP 2: 422 Squadron Movements 1942-45 (detail of Map 1)
MAP 3: Sinking of U-625

General Sinking of U-625

General 422 Squadron in the Battle of the Atlantic (RCAF Museum)

422 Squadron History Summary 1942-45

History of the Squadron Post-WWII (Aircraft: Sabre Mk. 2, 4, 5, 6, Starfighter, Huey, Kiowa)

The squadron was re-formed as a Fighter unit at Uplands (Ottawa), Ontario on 1 January 1953 with Canadair Sabre aircraft, and joined No. 4 (Fighter) Wing at Baden-Soellingen, Germany in August. Its nickname was changed to "Tomahawk". Selected as one of eight Sabre units in No. 1 Air Division Europe to be re-equipped with CF-104 Starfighter aircraft for a nuclear strike role, it was deactivated on 15 April 1963 and reactivated as Strike Attack on 15 July. On 1 February 1968 the squadron was integrated into the Canadian Armed Forces. The squadron was deactivated in July, 1970. The squadron was reactivated as 422 Tactical Helicopter Squadron in January 1971, and remained a helicopter squadron until it was finally disbanded in August 1980.

© Canadian Warplane Heritage 2024

To search on any page:
PC — Ctrl-F
Mac — ⌘-F
Mobile — or …