Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum logo

Click on CASPIR logo to go to the entire CASPIR system.

Use the panel to:

  • select Optional Sections
  • Remove Page Breaks, that is, return to the non-print formatted document.
  • Click on the ⇩ to go directly to that section.

Foster, David F (Warrant Officer 2nd Class)

Evader 1944-06-08

Male Head

Age:

Service
RCAF
Unit
427 (B) Sqn- Squadron
Ferte Manus Certas (Strike sure)
Base
Leeming
Rank
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
Marshal
Air Chief MarshalA/C/M
Air MarshalA/M
Air Vice MarshalA/V/M
Air CommodoreA/C
Group CaptainG/C
Wing CommanderW/C
Squadron LeaderS/L
Flight LieutenantF/L
Flying OfficerF/O
Pilot OfficerP/O
Warrant Officer 1st ClassWO1
Warrant Officer 2nd ClassWO2
Flight SergeantFS
SergeantSGT
CorporalCPL
Senior AircraftmanSAC
Leading AircraftmanLAC
Aircraftman 1st ClassAC1
Aircraftman 2nd ClassAC2
Position
Pilot
Service Numbers
R/136520

427 Lion Squadron (Ferte Manus Certe) RAF Leeming. Halifax BIII aircraft LV 987 ZL-K, while on a raid to bomb the railyards at Acheres, France was attacked by a night fighter and abandoned. The entire crew baled before the Halifax crashed near Gaillon sur Montcient, Yvelines, France

WO2 DF Foster (RCAF) survived and avoided capture as an Evader

Crew on Halifax B.Mk.III LV987

Handley Page Halifax

(RAF Photo, 1942)(Source Harold A Skaarup Web Page)A Royal Air Force Handley Page Halifax Mk. II Series I (Serial No. W7676), coded TL-P, of No. 35 Squadron, RAF, based at Linton-on-Ouse, Yorkshire in the UK, being piloted by Flight Lieutenant Reginald Lane, (later Lieutenant-General, RCAF), over the English countryside. Flt Lt Lane and his crew flew twelve operations in W7676, which failed to return from a raid on Nuremberg on the night of 28/29 August 1942, when it was being flown by Flt Sgt D. John and crew.

The Handley Page Halifax is a British Royal Air Force (RAF) four-engined heavy bomber of the Second World War. It was developed by Handley Page to the same specification as the contemporary twin-engine Avro Manchester.

The Halifax has its origins in the twin-engine HP56 proposal of the late 1930s, produced in response to the British Air Ministry's Specification P.13/36 for a capable medium bomber for "world-wide use." The HP56 was ordered as a backup to the Avro 679, both aircraft being designed to use the underperforming Rolls-Royce Vulture engine. The Handley Page design was altered at the Ministry to a four-engine arrangement powered by the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine; the rival Avro 679 was produced as the twin-engine Avro Manchester which, while regarded as unsuccessful mainly due to the Vulture engine, was a direct predecessor of the famed Avro Lancaster. Both the Lancaster and the Halifax would emerge as capable four-engined strategic bombers, thousands of which would be built and operated by the RAF and several other services during the War.

On 25 October 1939, the Halifax performed its maiden flight, and it entered service with the RAF on 13 November 1940. It quickly became a major component of Bomber Command, performing routine strategic bombing missions against the Axis Powers, many of them at night. Arthur Harris, the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Bomber Command, described the Halifax as inferior to the rival Lancaster (in part due to its smaller payload) though this opinion was not shared by many of the crews that flew it, particularly for the MkIII variant. Nevertheless, production of the Halifax continued until April 1945. During their service with Bomber Command, Halifaxes flew a total of 82,773 operations and dropped 224,207 tons of bombs, while 1,833 aircraft were lost. The Halifax was also flown in large numbers by other Allied and Commonwealth nations, such as the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), Free French Air Force and Polish forces. Wikipedia

YouTube Halifax Heavy Bomber WWII

General Harold A Skaarup Web Page

Wkikpedia Wikipedia Halifax Bomber

Museum National Air Force Museum of Canada

CASPIR Aircraft Groups:
RCAF On Strength (5), RCAF 6 Group (1596), RCAF 400 Squadron (1443), Canadian Aircraft Losses (1562), Canadian Museum(2)
last update: 2023-12-08 20:34:11

Halifax B.Mk.III LV987

ZLRAF RoundelK

Served with No. 427 (B) Squadron, RCAF, coded "ZL*K". Failed to return, Acheres, 8.6.44
Unit 427

427 (B) Sqn- Squadron Ferte Manus Certas ("Lion")

History of the Squadron during World War II (Aircraft: Wellington III, X, Halifax III, V, Lancaster I, III)

427 Squadron was the RCAF's 25th squadron and eighth bomber squadron to be formed overseas in WWII. It was formed at Croft, Yorkshire, England on 7 November 1942 as part of No 4 Group of RAF Bomber Command. With squadron code letters ZL it flew Wellington Mk III aircraft. On 1 January 1943 it joined No 6 (RCAF) Group, remaining at Croft until May of 1943, when it moved to Leeming, Yorkshire , where it remained for the rest of the war in Europe. Its duties were to take part in strategic and tactical bomber operations. It briefly re-equipped with Vickers Wellington Mk X before acquiring Handley Page Halifax Mk V aircraft in May 1943. In January 1944 it re-equipped again with the improved Halifax Mk III. Finally it was equipped with Avro Lancaster Mks I and III in March 1945. After the termination of hostilities in Europe, the squadron remained in England and transferred to No 1 Group. It participated in operation EXODUS, the repatriation of POW's and operation DODGE, bringing back British troops from Italy. The squadron disbanded at Leeming on 1 June 1946.

In the course of WWII the squadron flew approximately 3300 operational sorties in the course of which either 88 (Moyes) or 90 (Kostenuk) aircraft were lost and approximately 10,300 tons of bombs were dropped. The squadron earned 4 DSO's, 147 DFC'c and 6 Bars to DFC, 1 AFC, 2 CGM's, 16 DFM's and 8 MiD. Battle Honours were: English Channel and North Sea 1943-45, Baltic 1944-45, Fortress Europe 1943-44, France and Germany 1944-45, Biscay Ports 1943-44, Ruhr 1943-45, Berlin 1943-44, German Ports 1943-45, Normandy 1944, Rhine, Biscay 1944. Wikipedia, Moyes, Kostenuk and Griffin

Squadron History (Bomber Command Museum PDF)

Maps for Movements of 427 Squadron 1942-46

MAP 1: 427 Squadron Bases 1942-46 (marked in green). Right-click on image to display enlarged in new tab

427 Squadron History Summary 1942-46

History of the Squadron Post-WWII (Aircraft: Sabre 2, 5, 6, Starfighter, Kiowa, Twin Huey, Griffon)

The squadron was reactivated on 1 August 1952 as a fighter squadron in the Air Defence Command, based in St Hubert, Quebec and equipped with Canadair F-86 Sabre Mk 2s. The Squadron moved on to Sabre Mks. 5 and 6 while working out of St Hubert before deploying to Zweibrücken, Germany and becoming a part of 3 Wing, in March-April 1953. The Squadron continued in this role, operating out of Germany, for another decade, participating in many multi-national NATO exchanges and exercises with destinations including; Rabat, Morocco, Decimomannu, Sardinia and France. The squadron moved to Grostenquin, France in June 1962, but was inactive pending its conversion to the CF-104 Starfighter. On 15 December 1962, the Squadron was deactivated as a Fighter squadron and reactivated on the 17th as a Strike/Attack squadron, becoming the first Canadian squadron to be equipped with the Starfighter. This change in aircraft necessitated changes in training and tactics. In 1969 the squadron moved from Zweibrücken to Baden-Soellingen , and with that, a change from 3 Wing to 4 Wing.

The Squadron disbanded again on 1 July 1970 and was re-established on 1 January 1971 as a Tactical Helicopter Squadron with 10 Tactical Air Group of Mobile Command, later simply called ‘Air Command.’ The first helicopter used after this transition was the CH-136 Kiowa light observer helicopter and, simultaneously, the CH-135 Twin Huey utility helicopters. The Squadron participated in many operations, including: Norway, Egypt, Sinai and Central America. After switching to a fleet of only CH-135 Twin Hueys in 1992, the squadron deployed to Somalia in 1993 and to Haiti on Operations. In July 1997 the Squadron received the BELL CH-146 Griffon Helicopter fleet to replace the Twin Huey. By 1999, the Griffon’s had participated in operations in Canada and in Honduras. The early 2000’s saw rotations going to Bosnia.

On 1 February 2006, 427 Squadron became part of Canadian Special Operations Forces Command (CANSOFCOM), as a Special Operations Aviation Squadron (SOAS), with the responsibility of providing air capability to various units with the Canadian Special Forces Command, where it remains today, located at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa, Ontario . In recent years, 427 SOAS participated in Exercise FLINTLOCK, an annual regional exercise among African, Western and United States counterterrorism forces, in multiple countries in West Africa. It also deployed to the Middle-East as part of Operation IMPACT, the Canadian Armed Forces mission to build the military capabilities of Iraq, Jordan and Lebanon, and set the conditions for their long-term success. 

© Canadian Warplane Heritage 2024

To search on any page:
PC — Ctrl-F
Mac — ⌘-F
Mobile — or …