Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum logo

Click on CASPIR logo to go to the entire CASPIR system.

Use the panel to:

  • select Optional Sections
  • Remove Page Breaks, that is, return to the non-print formatted document.
  • Click on the ⇩ to go directly to that section.

Bradley, J R (Pilot Officer)

Survived 1942-05-01

Male Head

Age:

Service
RAF
Unit
1 AOS- Air Observer School
Base
Malton, Ontario, Canada
Rank
Pilot Officer
Marshal
Air Chief MarshalA/C/M
Air MarshalA/M
Air Vice MarshalA/V/M
Air CommodoreA/C
Group CaptainG/C
Wing CommanderW/C
Squadron LeaderS/L
Flight LieutenantF/L
Flying OfficerF/O
Pilot OfficerP/O
Warrant Officer 1st ClassWO1
Warrant Officer 2nd ClassWO2
Flight SergeantFS
SergeantSGT
CorporalCPL
Senior AircraftmanSAC
Leading AircraftmanLAC
Aircraftman 1st ClassAC1
Aircraftman 2nd ClassAC2
Position
Service Numbers
According to crash card, though originally reported missing after abandoning the aircraft. He returned uninjured.

Avro Anson

Avro Anson Mk. V
Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum
The Museum's Anson Mk. V was built by MacDonald Brothers in Winnipeg in 1944. It flew with No. 7 Photographic Wing and No. 414 Squadron in Ottawa on photo survey work until the late 1940s. In 1956, it was purchased by INCO and used for mineral surveying until 1980, when it was donated to the Museum. The exterior is painted in the yellow colour common to all BCATP trainers and is in its same wartime RCAF markings.

The Avro Anson was known by a number of nicknames including "Faithful Annie" or "Flying Greenhouse". It was the first aircraft to be flown by the Royal Canadian Air Force to have a retractable undercarriage, which was a comparative novelty in 1936. In 1940, a Canadian government owned company, Federal Aircraft Limited, was created in Montreal to manufacture the Anson for Canadian use. Nearly 3,000 Anson aircraft were produced and, in the early days of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP), the Anson was the standard trainer for many pilots, observers (navigators), wireless operators and bomb aimers. More than 20,000 aircrew received training on the Anson. In Canadian service, the aircraft was substantially re-designed with the substitution of North American engines and many other airframe and equipment changes. Harold Skaarup web pages

General Harold A Skaarup Web Page

YouTube Avro Anson History

YouTube Avro Anson Construction

CASPIR Aircraft Groups:
RCAF On Strength (4404), RCAF 400 Squadron (6), Canadian Aircraft Losses (257)
last update: 2022-02-22 21:45:24

Anson Mk. I 6037

Ex RAF R3448. To No. 1 Training Command on 30 April 1940. With No. 1 Air Observer School at Malton, Ontario. Some crew bailed out after encountering severe storm in May 1942, civilian staff pilot landed aircraft safely. No serious injuries. To de Havilland Canada for overhaul, 11 July to 14 September 1942. To No. 1 Training Command when completed. To short term storage on 7 June 1944. To No. 1 Air Command on 15 January 1945, still in storage, and pending disposal from that date. Stored at No. 6 Repair Depot, where it was reported with 3711:54 total time, 1709:00 since overhaul.
1940-04-24 Taken on Strength National Steel Car 2019-08-20
1942-May-14 Accident: 1 Air Observer School Loc: Names: Bradley | Gibson | Jenkins | Royce
1945-04-27 Struck off Strength Struck off, to War Assets Corporation 2019-08-20

1 AOS- Air Observer School (1 Air Observer School)

Air Observers were later called "navigators". For recruits in this stream, the training path after ITS was 8 weeks at an Air Observer School (AOS), 1 month at a Bombing & Gunnery School, and finally 1 month at a Navigation School. The Air Observer schools were operated by civilians under contract to the RCAF. For example, Nos. 7, 8, and 9 were run by CP Airlines. However, the instructors were RCAF. The basic navigation techniques throughout the war years were dead reckoning and visual pilotage, and the tools were the aeronautical chart, magnetic compass, watch, trip log, pencil, Douglas protractor, and Dalton Navigational Computer. They trained in the Avro Anson.
No. 1 Air Observer School. Dominion Skyways (Training) Ltd. Malton, Ontario.

The School was established at Malton, Ontario. The former school is now the Toronto (Pearson) International Airport.

More information on the RCAF Station at Malton can be found at
  • RCAF Roundel RCAF.info - RCAF Station Malton Ontario

  • General Wartime Canada - Wings presentation December 1943

  • 1940-05-27 Primary Location Malton ON Canada Now site of Toronto International Airport CYYZ

    © Canadian Warplane Heritage 2024

    To search on any page:
    PC — Ctrl-F
    Mac — ⌘-F
    Mobile — or …