Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum logo
AQC-6 (Canadian: 1 )

Waco AQC-6

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3545940)
(Source Harold A Skaarup Web Page)
Waco YKC-S, CF-AWK, Dominion Skyways Ltd, 1939.
Waco AQC-6.

The Waco Aircraft Company of Troy, Ohio was a major manufacturer of aircraft in the U. S. from 1928 - 1935. Beginning in 1921 as the Weaver Aircraft Company they moved to Troy in 1924 and became the Advance Aircraft Company keeping the Waco logo. From 1929 they changed the name to the Waco Aircraft Company. The Waco (wah-co) series of four-seat cabin biplanes were initiated in 1931 and were produced continuously in progressively refined models until 1939.

The Waco system of model designation takes some time to understand - the first letter identifies the engine type, the second the wing style, and the third the fuselage design. The Canadian Museum of Flight's aircraft was manufactured in 1937 at Troy, Ohio as a ZQC-6 model (285 hp Jacobs L-5MB engine) but was converted to an AQC-6 (330 hp Jacobs L-6MB) in 1947.

Purchased new by the Department of National Defence, Ottawa, it was operated by the Department of Transport until 1949, when it was moved out to the British Columbia coast. It was then operated by B.C. Airlines, followed by a logging company. Dr. Jack Pickup of Alert Bay was the next owner, who acquired the airplane in 1953 and routinely used it as a "flying doctor" float plane. During its long career it suffered several landing accidents.

The Waco was donated to the Canadian Museum of Flight in 1980 by Dr. Pickup. Although the aircraft was donated on floats, it is now operated on wheels. The first test flight in over 30 years was carried out on February 13th, 2002 after a twenty-year restoration by volunteers at the Canadian Museum of Flight. This aircraft is one of the Museums flight worthy fleet. The Canadian Museum of Flight

General Canadian Museum of Flight

CASPIR Aircraft Groups:
RCAF On Strength (1)
last update: 2021-10-05 17:47:37



Known Squadron Assignments: 12

Purchased by Department of Transport, first registered in Canada on 5 April 1939. Impressed by RCAF, but remained on civil register. Used by No. 12 Squadron at RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario. Sold by DOT in 1950, exported to US were it became N2849D of Kenmore Air Harbor. last update: 2024-February-19
   1942-September-04 Taken on Strength 2022-02-07
   1942-December-08 Struck off Strength 2022-02-07
📙 JA Griffin (2005:Smith, Castle): 1968 607 | 1968 623

© Canadian Warplane Heritage 2024

To search on any page:
PC — Ctrl-F
Mac — ⌘-F
Mobile — or …